Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Its been a while

Well it has been a while since I've updated this. As you can guess, I've been riding a ton! Lots and lots of dirt jumping and xc riding mainly. Dirt jumping is definitely my weakness, and I've been working hard to build my skills back up. This past weekend I found a new trail system that is being built by the BLM in conjunction with the IMBA. It is located just east of a small mtn town called Sandy in the Cascade range of the Mt Hood National Forest. I now have a lot of respect for what the IMBA does. Somehow they managed to build a 4.5 mile long downhill with 1200' of elevation with continuously high speeds and not really any pedalling. It is almost entirely bench cut, but is littered with sharp rocks and slick roots. The last 1.5 miles flattens out but the speeds stay high because they built an enormous amount of berms and rollers that just flow for days. After you do the full loop you can go back up and loop the lower bermed section over and over again. They are doing a trail work day this weekend to finish off another 8 mile loop at the top that connects in the the trail I just described. It is all I want and need out of a riding area, but it just keeps getting better. They are letting us build jump lines out there too! On BLM land!

The first race of the season is going down in 3 weeks in Port Angeles, WA. Formally part of the Fluidride Cup Series, this place has split off this year to put on their own series, called the NW Cup. It is going to be a good preview of the track to help me get prepared for a very large race in April, the first ProGRT (and 2nd NW Cup). It is the weekend after Sea Otter so I'm expecting some very big hitters to be in attendance. I'm looking forward to getting to the races and meeting a ton of new people and challenging myself on tracks that I don't have memorized.