Monday, July 12, 2010

Back to the right coast


The past 6 weeks of my life have been pretty hectic. I have just recently moved back to North Carolina to embark on an internship creating a new map of Wilson Creek. I absolutely could not find what I needed in Portland as far as getting the internship that I needed and wanted to do for my GIS degree. It was really rough because I moved out there with my girlfriend, who coincidentally is originally from there. Long story short this internship stuff has forced me to make a very very tough decision, which is leave her in Portland to come and take care of this. Anyways, it's been nice being back and seeing everyone. It seems like the racing scene back here is starting to get in the swing of things, which is good. I was fortunate enough to be able to race in some VERY high quality events while out west, and hopefully I can use some of that experience to implement into the Dirty Bird races soon.

There has been way too much stuff going through my head lately that I haven't really been able to even think about racing or riding bikes for a little while. Total scatterbrain. Until now. This past weekend I did a little race at Beech Mtn, which was my first time back on the DH bike in over a month, and first race in 6 weeks. It was awesome being able to bang out runs again. After a few really weird-feeling shakedown runs I was feeling good again and getting some flow back. My race run went as good as I could have expected coming off of a solid downtime off the bike. It was clean and I nailed everything I wanted to in the woods sections, but I just wasn't able to throw together the run I wanted or needed to do. My legs felt like lead, and I even literally forgot to pedal in one section. I ended up in 6th place, which was Ok with me. I needed to have that kind of result to get me motivated to start focusing again and really thinking about racing. Snowshoe in 2 weeks.

2 comments:

Butch Greene said...

Good having you back. Positive minded people always helps my sour outlook. Pumped to be stoked.

Michael Thomas said...

Always Butch! Man, you are about to be stoked when you hear about the new business venture I'm about to take. Good news soon...